Thursday, December 11, 2008

O Tannenbaum! O Tannenbaum!



The first snow!!! So yes, I am doing better than normal! 2 times in less than 2 months, it must be a new record! Pretty awesome right? So yeah, this was our first snow of the season. It has actually snowed several times already, even though everyone says it never snows here. But yeah, it's really pretty.

So we bought our Christmas Tree! It's really pretty. And the wreath sitting next to it is the Advent candles. One candle lit for every Advent (the 4 sundays leading up to Christmas)

All finished! Isn't it pretty? So in the German fashion, they used candle lights instead of those that we have. Altough they are not real candles, it's still really pretty!

Wearing her mothers glasses and drinking hot cocoa after being outside in the snow creates an interesting effect.
So the other night at institute Kim and I took pictures of us. I was tired and therefore could not keep my eyes open when it flashed...oops!



So the other day Mimi had a play at the school where they did the Nativity story. She was a shepherd, but also the main flutest. She did wonderful!

I don't know if you can see it, but in the window is a triangular set of candle lights. I don't know what it means, but every German house has them in most windows at Christmas time.
It snowed all day the day of her play, which seemed fitting. It was beautiful.
The play was actually at the church next to the school, and there was a nativity set set up and it was gorgeous! It was all hand-made and completely original. Very pretty. I took another picture, but I had Dirk's camera, which isn't very good, and it didn't actually take. So this is the only part of it you can see...
Ok, so for those who don't know, I have been cross-stiching a picture since August. It is a picture of Christ and I have been planning on giving it to the parents here for Christmas. I got it done and framed it and so here it is!








3 comments:

Aaron and Melissa said...

I love love love your pic... it turned out absolutely beautiful! It looks amazing!! I love the pic of the snow and the lane. The Christmas tree looks so pretty and elegant :) You look like you're having so much fun with Kim at institute! The triangular candle lights are cool... I would so put something like that up in my windows! The play sounds cool! Too bad Dirk's camera didn't catch the pic you were going for... bummer :) LOVE you and MISS you!!

Marcy said...

Lani you do AMAZING on the picture!!! It's BEAUTIFUL & they are going to LOVE it!!!! I still can't get over how great you did on it. & I LOVE the snow & nativity & all the cool Christmas stuff. The tree IS beautiful. & I love the whole wreath thing. That's like WAY cool. We need to do that with a wreath. I really do love that tradition. I like the candle lights too...very cool. The pictures of the snow look like postcards! Love you!!!

Michelle said...

lani that cross stitch is amazing!!!! :) oh but then again i alwawys knew my bestest friendest was super talented! :) wub jew lanners

This is my blog for my time in Germany. I thought this would be a good way for people to see what's going on while I'm there.